Senior System Engineer (Admins Team)
We are Semrush, a global IT company developing our own product – a platform for digital marketers.
And this is our Senior System Engineer role for those who want to turn ideas into reality using code, algorithms, and maybe a bit of magic.
Tasks in the role
Most tasks are related to Google Cloud and Kubernetes.
Configure services in the Google Cloud using Terraform, learn new cloud products, and help developers use them.
Help development teams with troubleshooting in Kubernetes.
Maintain and improve automation and management tools, such as writing Ansible Roles and pipelines for Gitlab CI/CD, cover IaC with tests.
Work with team tickets with the support of more experienced colleagues.
Develop internal tools in Python.
Who we are looking for
You don't have to know everything. We understand that competence and depth of knowledge can vary. This is what's important:
- You know Linux. It's your home where you are not a guest and you understand how things work, you can find and fix what's broken.
- You know IaC, it sounds ordinary to you, You have experience with Ansible, but Chef, Salt, Puppet are also OK. Terraform – awesome.
- You know how to deploy infrastructure in the Public Cloud, ideally GCP, but AWS will do as well. Azure – the main thing is to have an understanding of clouds and differences from hardware.
- You know how to work with Kubernetes, you know the inner workings. Understand RBAC, have worked with ingress, application deployment. Excellent if you have experience with Kubernetes in production.
- You can deploy via Gitlab CI/CD. If you prefer other CI/CD tools and can distinguish pipeline from job, add dependencies, or sneak artifacts between jobs, that's also OK.
- Configure Nginx. You can tell proxy_pass from upstream and map from if.
- DB: SQL and NoSQL. We are not looking for a DBA, but you should know how to work with databases. Raise replication, set up backups, and monitor for PostgreSQL or MySQL. We also appreciate MongoDB, ClickHouse, Redis.
- You know how to monitor using Prometheus Stack. It is important to understand the essence: what to monitor, why, and when to alert?
- You can write automation scripts in Python. Cool if you can create something more complex or want to grow in that direction.
They say there are no perfect candidates, but that might well be you, if
- It is very cool if you have experience working on high-volume web projects and infrastructure teams.
A bit about the team
We have 14 engineers in our team. Our goal is for development teams to manage the infrastructure themselves. To do this, we develop tools and adapt infrastructure services for teams. One of these tools manages the infrastructure in the Google Cloud via Terraform.
It's valuable to us to support product teams professionally. That's why we don't have support lines with escalations: we take team requests and improve the process ourselves. We analyze requests and collect feedback.
We stick to the necessary set of technologies: we do not collect everything in sight and avoid duplication, but sometimes, there are "it just so happened" situations. But we are constantly looking for new technologies and approaches.
Infrastructure in the US: Data Center and Google Cloud. The hardware and network are handled by a separate team of Data Center Administrators.
Key technologies we work with
- Infra: Google Cloud, Kubernetes.
- OS: Debian.
- IaC: Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Packer.
- Code: Gitlab & Gitlab CI/CD.
- Monitoring: Prometheus Stack, Splunk.
- Web: Nginx, Envoy, HAProxy.
- Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, ClickHouse, MongoDB, Redis.
- Other: Vault, Artifactory.
- Python, Bash and a bit of Go
We will try to create all the right conditions for you to work and rest comfortably
- It’s up to you to decide what work format works best for you. You can #wfo, #wfh, or mix both.
- Flexible working day start.
- Health insurance (Employee + family).
- Psychologist consultations.
- Breakfast, snacks, and coffee at the office.
- Corporate events.
- Compensation for sports and hobby expenses (Employee+Family).
- Training, courses, conferences.
- English courses.
- Gifts for employees.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Finally, a little more about our company
Semrush is a leading online visibility management SaaS platform that enables businesses globally to run search engine optimization, pay-per-click, content, social media and competitive research campaigns and get measurable results from online marketing.
We've been developing our product for 13 years and have been awarded G2's Top 100 Software Products, Global and US Search Awards 2021, Great Place to Work Certification, Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and many more. In March 2021 Semrush went public and started trading on the NYSE with the SEMR ticker.
10,000,000+ users in America, Europe, Asia, and Australia have already tried Semrush, and over 1,000 people around the world are working on its development. The Semrush team is constantly growing.
Our new colleague, we are waiting for you!
Semrush is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or medical condition including medical characteristics, genetic identity, marital status, military service, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, merit and individual qualifications.
Talent Acquisition Specialist